Cape Coast and Elmina Excursion
his 3-hour drive takes conference participants to Elmina and Cape Coast, a twin-city that holds two important slave forts right on the Atlantic Ocean in the Central Region of Ghana. Tour guides will take you through the castle/s and show you the passages through which the ancestors of many Blacks in the Diaspora came to. The tour will take place on AUGUST 7. Buses will leave Accra at dawn (specific place and time will be announced later).
See images of Elmina Castle HERE
Kakum National Park
The tour will also take you to Kakum National Park, a 45-minute drive from Elmina. The park has a canopy walk, arguably the only canopy walk on the African continent. If time allows, conference participants could spend time at one of Elmina's beautiful beaches.
A Few Places of Interest
- University of Ghana Great Hall and surroundings (it’s up the hill; need to walk past the buildings and take a panoramic view of the surrounding city and hills)
- W.E.B. Du Bois Center, in Cantoments, M-F 9:00-4:30 (021 776-502)
- George Padmore Library, by Ridge Circle, M-F, 8:30-5:00; Sat 10:00-4:00 (032 247-768, 228-402)
- Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park
- Independence Square
- Makola Market (downtown)
- Beaches, e.g. Labadi Beach, Coco Beach
- Aburi Botanical Gardens (a 30-minute taxi drive from Legon)